1928 Deepwater 1961
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at South Bank-on-Tees England by Smith’s Dock Co., Hull 837
258’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’2” beam, 20’6” depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 900 IHP
253.0 x 43.4 x 18.4, 1796 GT, 1134 NT Br 147797 to:
Water Transports Ltd., Montreal QC, a subsidiary of Montreal Light, Heat & Power Co. (home port Middlesbrough England)
Entered service 1928
Transferred 1932 to Canadian Lake Carriers Ltd.
Enrollment transferred to Canada Can 147797 (home port to Montreal QC)
(Transfer of ownership was announced to include change of name to Tredora but the change was never made.)
Transferred 1938 to Keystone Transports Ltd. and renamed Keymont.
Requisitioned 1941 for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes
Sold 1947 to Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William ON (home port to Fort William ON), renamed Hamildoc (2) and returned to the Great Lakes
Remeasured to 1030 NT (Registered tons under Canadian terminology)
Fleet merged 1951 into parent N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd.
Laid up at end of 1959 season and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1961 to A. Newman & Co. Scrapped at Port Dalhousie ON.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Sept 1962 (#133)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 210