DeGraff, LeGrand S.

1907                                  LeGrand S. DeGraff                                  1975

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 347
Launched June 1, 1907
With William B. Kerr and William M. Mills longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until Shenango of 1909 – superseded Edward Y. Townsend and Daniel J. Morrell of 1906)

605’9” LOA, 585’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1880 IHP

Enrolled at Niagara Falls NY June 27, 1907 (#4)
585.0 x 60.0 x 32.0, 7971 GT, 6196 NT     US 204251     to:
Weston Transit Co., North Tonawanda NY, W. M. Mills, Mgr. (home port North Tonawanda NY)

Entered service July 4, 1907 clearing Lorain OH with coal for Duluth MN

Transferred 1910 to Frontier Steamship Co.

Sold 1911 to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN) and renamed George G. Crawford.

Rebuilt 1937 at Conneaut OH.  Hatches to 24’ centers with deck crane.
Remeasured to 585.0 x 60.2 x 27.4, 7699 GT, 6376 NT

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged 1952 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Sold for scrap 1975 to Hyman Michaels Co., Duluth MN.  Scrapped at Duluth.

IMO 5128728



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *