1931 Edgewater 1964
Steel twin-screw bulk freighter
Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 276
Launched May 9, 1931
300’ LOA, 288’ LBP, 43’ beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, oil-fired boilers, 2 steam turbine engines, 1600 SHP
290.7 x 43.2 x 15.7, 1819 GT, 1129 NT US 230960 to:
Ford Motor Co., Dearborn MI (home port Dearborn MI)
Built to carry auto parts through the Great Lakes and the New York State Barge Canal between the Ford plant at River Rouge MI and assembly plants at Chester PA and Edgewater NJ
Entered service Aug 17, 1931
Requisitioned 1942 by the U. S. War Shipping Administration for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes
Sold 1947 to Cleveland Tankers Inc., Cleveland OH for return to the Great Lakes
Converted to tanker at Staten Island NY by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co.
Renamed Orion 1949
Laid up at end of 1957 season at Ashtabula OH and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1964 to Acme Scrap Iron & Metal Co., Ashtabula OH and scrapped. Forward section converted into a derrick barge which sank July 23, 1968 off Lorain OH, Lake Erie.