1897 Empire City 1968
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co., Hull 28
Launched June 17, 1897
426’ LOA, 406’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1585 IHP
Enrolled at Duluth MN Aug 5, 1897 (#1)
405.4 x 48.0 x 24.4, 4118.48 GT, 3268.65 NT US 136623 to:
Zenith Transit Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service Sept 1897
Fleet merged 1900 into American Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Sold April 26, 1927 to G. A. Tomlinson, Cleveland OH and transferred May 12, 1927 to his Empire Steamship Co.
Transferred 1929 to Sumatra Steamship Co., Cleveland OH and renamed Sumatra
Converted to scraper type self-unloader at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
Fleet consolidated 1954 into Tomlinson Fleet Corporation, Cleveland OH
Remeasured 1957 to 4160 GT, 3310 NT
Sold 1961 to Law Quarries Transportation Ltd., Port Colborne ON, a subsidiary of R. E. Law Crushed Stone Co., N. J. Reoch, Mgr.
Enrolled British at 406.8 x 48.1 x 27.6, 4715 GT, 2860 NT Br 316031
Renamed Dolomite 1962
To Canadian flag 1966 (home port to Port Colborne ON) Can 316031
Chartered 1967 to Bayswater Shipping Ltd., Brockville ON
Firm discontinued operation later in season and vessel laid up
Sold for scrap 1968 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers and towed overseas with str. Edward Y. Townsend towed by Netherlands tug Hudson. Townsend broke loose from the tow and sank on Oct 7. Tow arrived at Santander, Spain on Oct 20, 1968.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 337