1904 R. W. England 1960
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 1
Keel laid Jan 14, 1904; launched May 5, 1904
377’ LOA, 356’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 900 IHP
Engine came from str. V. H. Ketchum of 1874, which was converted to a barge in 1904.
Enrolled at Detroit MI May 26, 1904 (#47)
362.8 x 50.2 x 29.0, 3887 GT, 2935 NT US 200948 to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works
Reenrolled at Detroit MI June 15, 1904 (Temp #52) to:
England Transit Co., Cleveland OH, Frank Seither, Mgr. (master Capt. R. W. England) (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1904
Permanent enrollment at Cleveland OH June 16, 1904 (#96)
Sold March 8, 1916 to Valley Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, W. H. Becker, Mgr.
Renamed Frank Seither (1) 1919
Repowered 1920 with the triple expansion engine salvaged from str. Helena, which was lost by grounding in 1918.
Fleet renamed Becker Steamship Co. Aug 4, 1922.
Sold April 21, 1923 to Fontana Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. and renamed Fontana.
Transferred 1924 to Progress Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr.
Converted to scraper type self-unloader at Sturgeon Bay WI by Leatham D. Smith Dry Dock Co.
Transferred 1931 to Maritime Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr.
Cleveland-Cliffs fleet reincorporated in Delaware late 1931. Vessel transferred to Progress Steamship Co. (home port to Wilmington DE)
Chartered 1932-1934 seasons to Construction Materials Corporation, Chicago IL
Sold 1940 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port to Buffalo NY)
Sold for scrap 1960 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Steel Company of Canada and scrapped at Hamilton ON.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian Dec 1999 (#16)