(1945) 1961 Leon Falk Jr. 1985
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chester PA by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Hull 477
Launched April 2, 1945
Built as Class T2-DE-A1 tanker Winter Hill for U. S. Maritime Commission during World War II. Registered at 504.0 x 68.2 x 39.2, 10296 GT, 6154 NT. 520’ LOA, 68’ beam, 39’ depth.
Sold 1960 to owners below. Converted to Great Lakes bulk freighter at Baltimore MD by Bethlehem Steel Co. with the addition of a new midbody built in Hamburg Germany by Schlieker-Werft and towed to Baltimore. Renamed Leon Falk Jr. 1961.
730’ LOA, 708’9” LBP, 75’ beam, 39’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, turbo electric engine, 6000 SHP
710.6 x 75.1 x 39.8, 12501 GT, 8811 NT US 247576 to:
Skar-Ore Steamship Corporation, Cleveland OH, an affiliate of National Steel Corporation, M. A. Hanna Co., Mgr. (home port Wilmington DE)
Entered service July 1961, picking up a cargo of iron ore at Sept Iles QC on inbound voyage from Baltimore, upbound Welland Canal July 7 and delivered to Cleveland OH July 8.
Laid up Aug 15, 1980 at Ecorse MI and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1985. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Fit out and sailed to Quebec QC. Cleared Quebec with str. Menihek Lake towed by tug Ioannis S. Tow arrived Viga Spain Sept 25, 1985, where Menihek Lake was dropped off, then sailed to Gijon Spain, arriving Sept 28, 1985.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 120