1910 Erwin L. Fisher 1930
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Toledo OH by Toledo Shipbuilding Co., Hull 117
Built for the lumber trade.
Launched June 4, 1910
237’ LOA, 220’ LBP, 40’ beam, 17’ depth
Enrolled at Toledo OH June 28, 1910 (#32)
220.0 x 40.0 x 15.3, 1184 GT, 805 NT US 207617 to:
Toledo Shipbuilding Co., Toledo OH (home port Toledo OH)
Reenrolled at Buffalo NY Sept 21, 1910 (Temp # 23) to:
Argo Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, E. L. Fisher, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)
Entered service 1910
Permanent enrollment at Cleveland OH Oct 13, 1910 (#18)
Sunk May 4, 1911 in collision with str. Stephen M. Clement off Ecorse MI, Detroit River on first trip of the season. Abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Raised and repaired by Toledo Shipbuilding Co. and returned to her previous owners. (The subsequent enrollments while this vessel sailed for the Argo fleet indicated that she was owned by the shipyard, not the operator.)
Sold 1916 to Lake Transportation Co.,
Sold 1916 for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes. Great Lakes enrollment surrendered Sept 26, 1916.
Renamed Bayersher (Great Britain) 1916 and Port de Caen (France) 1921
Struck mine in the English Channel and sank. Raised and repaired.
Renamed Bayersher 1922
Enrolled Canadian at 228.2 x 40.0 x 15.0, 1430 GT, 830 NT Can 140270 home port to Montreal QC
Sold late 1922 to Scott Misener, Sarnia ON and renamed Claremont. Returned to the Great Lakes 1923.
Sold 1930 to Kelley Island Lime & Transport Co., Sandusky OH, converted to sand dredge and renamed George J. Whelan.
Returned to U. S. flag (home port to Sandusky OH). 1293 GT.
Capsized and foundered July 29, 1930 off Dunkirk NY, Lake Erie. Fifteen of 21 aboard lost. First trip in her new trade.
See history in Scanner Feb 1971 (#13)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 115