1916 Emory L. Ford 1981
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 715
Launched July 15, 1916
600’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth,
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 7, 1916 (#2)
580.0 x 60.0 x 32.0, 7986 GT, 6225 NT US 214318 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH) (?)
Reenrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 26, 1916 (#7) to:
Franklin Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, H. K. Oakes, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Entered service Aug 26, 1916 clearing Lorain OH light to Marquette MI
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Sept 14, 1916 (#9)
Home port to Fairport OH 1927
Fleet management transferred 1930 to Bethlehem Transportation Corporation
Home port to Wilmington DE 1936
Fleet management transferred 1940 to M. A. Hanna Co.
Fleet transferred 1944 to Hanna Ore Co.
Remeasured 1956 to 8042 GT, 6282 NT
Chartered to Gartland Steamship Co., Chicago IL for the 1963 and 1964 seasons
Sold 1965 to Reiss Steamship Co., Sheboygan WI and renamed Raymond H. Reiss.
Repowered 1966 with new diesel engine at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards.
Remeasured to 8220 GT, 6496 NT
Fleet sold June 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)
Traded 1971 to American Ship Building Co., Lorain OH as part payment on MV Roger M. Kyes being built by them for her owner
Assigned early 1972 to AmShip subsidiary Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH
Sold spring 1972 (before fitout completed) to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., Cleveland OH
Sold for scrap 1980 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Scrapped there in 1981.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 322