Ford II, Henry

1924                                  Henry Ford II                                  1994

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 788
Launched March 1, 1924

611’ LOA, 590’ LBP, 62’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired diesel engine, 3500 bhp
With Benson Ford had the first diesel engines on major Great Lakes vessels

Enrolled at
597.5 x 62.2 x 27.8, 8877 GT, 7074 NT     US 223980     to:
Ford Motor Co., Detroit MI (home port Detroit MI)

Entered service Aug 1924

Remeasured 1941 to 8898 GT, 6859 NT

Cargo hold and side tanks repaired 1953
Remeasured to 8692 GT, 6654 NT

Remeasured 1960 to 8708 GT, 5924 NT

Converted 1974 to self-unloader at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 8798 GT, 5934 NT

Retired from active service at end of 1981 season.. Laid up at Dearborn MI and did not operate again.

Fleet sold 1982 to Rouge Steel Co., Detroit MI

Fleet sold 1988 to Lakes Shipping Co., Cleveland OH, Interlake Steamship Co., Mgr. and vessel renamed Samuel Mather  (6)

Towed to Toledo OH June 1989

Sold for scrap 1994 to International Marine Salvage.  Towed to Port Maitland ON and scrapped.

IMO 5148015

 

2402

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *