Ford, William Clay

1953                                  William Clay Ford     1                                  1986

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 300
Keel laid April 7, 1952;  launched May 5, 1953

647’ LOA, 629’3” LBP, 70’ beam, 36’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 7000 SHP

Enrolled at
629.4 x 70.2 x 31.3, 11590 GT, 8590 NT     US 266029     to:
Ford Motor Co., Dearborn MI

Entered service Aug 4, 1953 clearing Ecorse MI light for Superior WI

Lengthened 1979 at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Remeasured to 749.4 and 14630 GT, 11629 NT

Laid up Dec 14, 1984 and did not operate again

Renamed US 266029  1985 to free up former name to rename another vessel of the fleet

Sold for scrap 1986 to Erwin Robinson Co.  Towed Aug 20, 1986 to Detroit Marine Terminals, Detroit MI, where her pilot house was removed for use as part of the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle.  Resold to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON.  Towed Dec 1986 to Port Maitland On and scrapped there in 1987.

IMO 5390142

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 141

 

5305

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *