1955 Fort Henry 1984
Steel Great Lakes package freighter
Built at Collingwood ON by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Hull 150
Keel laid Aug 20, 1954; launched March 10, 1955
Laid down as Fort Garry; renamed Fort Henry before launching
First of the Fort class of package freighters and the only one with pilot house forward.
461’6” LOA, 440’ LBP, 56’ beam, 32’ depth
Oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 4500 SHP
445.4 x 56.2 x 28.0, 5729 GT, 4159 NT Can 176118 to:
Canada Steamship Lines Montreal QC (home port Montreal QC)
Entered service June 1, 1955 clearing Collingwood ON for Sarnia ON
Laid up at the end of the 1979 season at Kingston ON and did not operate again.
Sold for scrap 1984 to Steel Factors Ltd. and towed to Hamilton ON
Scrapped 1988 at Hamilton. Forward cabins removed and installed as part of the visitors’ center at Lock 3 of the Welland Canal. After several instances of vandalism the cabins were dismantled.
See history in Scanner Midsummer and Oct 2001 (#263)