1897 Robert Fulton 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 125
Launched Sept 10. 1896
434’ LOA, 414’ LBP, 45’6” beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 HP
Enrolled at Detroit MI May 4, 1897 (Temp #64)
424.6 x 45.8 x 27.8, 4219.74 GT, 3181.95 NT US 111129 to:
Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service Sept 1897
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN May 10, 1897 (#49)
Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1920 at Fairport OH to arch construction and side tanks
Remeasured to 23.9 depth & 3801 GT, 2680 NT
Traded in 1943 with six other vessels of the fleet to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of strs. Sewell Avery, George A. Sloan and Robert C. Stanley. Operated during World War II by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1944 season at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Welland Canal Nov 1946, spent the winter there, then towed to Hamilton ON spring 1947, where she was scrapped.