1896 Sir William Fairbairn 1959 (1964)
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 124
Launched Aug 1, 1896
Longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until Samuel F. B. Morse of 1898 – superseded Victory and Zenith City of 1895)
436’ LOA, 425’ LBP, 46’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 HP
Enrolled at Detroit MI Sept 10, 1896 (Temp #7)
424.6 x 45.8 x 27.8, 4219.74 GT, 3181.95 NT US 116736 to:
Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1896
Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Oct 28, 1896 (#17)
Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1920 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 3794 GT, 2686 GT
Side tanks reconstructed 1922 at Toledo OH
Remeasured to 424.6 x 45.8 x 23.9, 3807 GT, 2760 NT
Sold 1936 to Buckeye Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. (home port to Wilmington DE)
Sold 1959 to Gamma Lake Ship Co., Buffalo NY, a subsidiary of Continental Grain Co., for grain storage in Buffalo harbor and retired from active service. Remeasured as barge to 3822 GT, 3807 NT.
Sold for scrap 1964 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Port Colborne ON, where she was stripped, then to Hamilton, where she was scrapped.