1905 Elbert H. Gary 1973
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 66
Launched April 8, 1905
Longest vessel on the Great Lakes when launched and when entered service (George W. Perkins, William E. Corey and Henry C. Frick launched and entered service later that season at same dimensions) (until J. Pierpont Morgan and Henry H. Rogers of 1906 – superseded Augustus B. Wolvin of 1904)
569’ LOA, 549’ LBP, 56’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Chicago IL May 23, 1905 (Temp #46)
557.8 x 56.0 x 26.5, 6331 GT, 4988 NT US 202014 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH
Entered service 1905
Reenrolled at Duluth MN Sept 28, 1905 (#9) to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Harry Coulby, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)
Rebuilt 1943. Hatches to 24’ centers with hatch crane.
Remeasured to 556.0 x 56.2 x 26.4, 6584 GT, 5155 NT
Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE
Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)
Sold 1964 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Wilmington DE) and renamed R. E. Webster.
Sold for scrap 1973 to Marine Salvage Ltd. Resold to Spanish shipbreakers. Cleared Quebec QC June 15, 1973 with str. A. E. Nettleton towed by Polish tug Jantar. Tow arrived Santander Spain July 5, 1973.