1954 Georgian Bay 1989
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Collingwood ON by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Hull 149
Launched Dec 18, 1953
Laid down to be a tanker for Imperial Oil Ltd. to carry Alberta oil from Superior WI to Sarnia ON but completion of the new pipeline from the western oil fields eliminated the need for a new tanker. Keel laid Aug 1952 and work suspended in Nov. Sold on the ways to her owners below and completed as a bulk freighter.
620’ LOA, 600’ LBP, 68’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 4500 SHP
601.5 x 68.2 x 31.0, 11392 GT, 8116 NT Can 176116 to:
Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC (home port Montreal QC)
Entered service May 8, 1954
Laid up Dec 9, 1982 and did not operate again
Sold for scrap 1989 to Corostel Trading Ltd. Resold to Turkish shipbreakers. Cleared Sorel QC Aug 26, 1989 with str. Sir James Dunn towed by Panamanian tug McThunder. Enroute to Turkey stopped at Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Islands, Azores from Sept 23 to 25. On Oct 3 Dunn broke her tow line in a storm. McThunder took Georgian Bay back to Ponta Delgada and returned to search for Dunn, which had been picked up by Panamanian tug Dalmar Servant 300 miles from Ponta Delgada and towed there. Tandem tow continued and arrived at Aliaga Turkey Nov 19, 1989.