Girdler, Tom M.

(1945) 1951                            Tom M. Girdler                                        1980

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Vancouver WA by Kaiser Company Inc., Hull 513
Launched Jan 1946
Built as Louis McH. Howe for U. S. Maritime Commission as Class C4-S-A4 class cargo vessel during World War II, registered at 497.21 x 71.7 x 29.9, 10688 GT, 7506 NT.  522’10” LOA, 496’7” LBP, 71’7” beam, 43’6” depth.  Laid up after the war in the James River reserve fleet.  Sold 1951 to owners below.

Towed to Baltimore MD, where she was converted to a Great Lakes bulk freighter by Maryland Dry Dock Co.  New forebody built at Pascagoula AL by Ingalls Shipbuilding Co. and towed to Baltimore.  Finished vessel towed into the Great Lakes via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.

Final conversion was completed at South Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co.
New dimensions:  604’ LOA, 585’ LBP, 71’6” beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 9000 SHP

Enrolled at
585.7 x 71.7 x 29.9, 9115 GT, 4497 NT     US 249104     to:
Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co., Detroit MI, Troy H. Browning, Mgr.

Entered Great Lakes service Nov 1951

Sold 1951 to Republic Steel Corporation, Detroit MI, Troy H. Browning, Mgr.

Management of fleet transferred 1972 to Wilson Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH

Management of fleet transferred 1972 to Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Cleveland OH

Sold for scrap 1980 to Indian shipbreakers.  Cleared Quebec QC Sept 16, 1980 towed by tug Hanseat.  Tow arrived Bombay India Dec 13, 1980

IMO 5364085

 

5103

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *