1925 Glenross 1966 (1975)
Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter
Built at Newcastle-on-Tyne England by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Hull 127
261’ LOA, 248’ LBP, 43’ beam, 25’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1060 IHP
248.1 x 43.7 x 22.9, 2309 GT Br 148134 to:
Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Newcastle England (home port Newcastle England)
(Built for Great Lakes Transportation Co., Midland ON, James Playfair, Mgr. but enrolled to the shipyard. This may be because she was built to be lengthened to upper GreatLakes length upon her arrival on the Lakes (see below), with ownership to be transferred when the job was done. She operated during the 1925 season, however, at her original dimensions and by the time she was lengthened the next spring, her fleet had been sold to Canada Steamship Lines.)
Chartered part of 1925 season to George Hall Coal & Shipping Corporation, Montreal QC
Lengthened 95’ winter 1925-1926 at Collingwood ON by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co.
(Midsection was built with the ship and was carried in her cargo hold to Canada)
Remeasured to 343.1 x 43.7 x 22.9, 3219 GT, 2360 NT
Enrollment transferred to Canada Can 148134 (home port to Midland ON)
Sold 1926 to Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC
Laid up during most of 1930s; determined to be underpowered for use at new length.
Shortened 1939 back to her original length at Collingwood ON by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co., then converted to package freighter at Lauzon QC by Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing Co.
Remeasured to 248.1 x 43.7 x 22.9, 2309 GT, 2357 NT
Renamed Battleford 1940
Sank str. Prindoc June 1, 1943 in collision on Lake Superior
Sold 1966 for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes
Renamed Real Gold (British) 1966
See history in Scanner April 2008 (#314)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian April 1981 (#221)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 28