1979 Edwin H. Gott
Steel twin-screw self-unloading Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Sturgeon Bay WI by Bay Shipbuilding Co., Hull 718
Built in two sections. Bow section: keel laid Oct 8, 1976; launched April 28, 1977. Stern section built in drydock: keel laid Aug 5, 1976; floated Feb 26, 1977. Sections joined July 6, 1978.
1004’ LOA, 990’ LBP, 105’ beam, 56’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired diesel engines, 19500 BHP
999.0 x 105.0 x 56.7, 35592 GT, 30690 NT US 600648 to:
United States Steel Corporation, Cleveland OH (home port New York NY)
After sea trials sailed Jan 14, 1979 to Milwaukee WI to complete preparation for entering service to avoid being caught in midwinter ice in Sturgeon Bay. Entered service Feb 16, 1979 clearing Milwaukee WI light for Two Harbors MN. Damaged in ice in Lake Superior upbound on maiden voyage, suffering side tank damage and losing one of her rudders, and spent two months under repair at Two Harbors. Cleared Two Harbors April 21, 1979 with iron ore for Gary IN. Stopped at Sault Ste. Marie MI to take on supplies, dropped her stern anchor and lost the anchor and 300 feet of chain.
Fleet made a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation 1981, renamed USS Great Lakes Fleet Inc., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
Fleet sold 2003 to Canadian National Railway Co., Montreal QC and renamed Great Lakes Fleet. Operated by Keystone Shipping Co., Bala Cynwyd PA to continue to be able to continue to trade between U.S. ports.
Repowered winter 2010-2011 with new diesel engines at Sturgeon Bay WI by Bay Shipbuilding Co.
In service 2011 for Great Lakes Fleet