1893 George J. Gould 1950
Steel Great Lakes package freighter
Built at Buffalo NY by Union Dry Dock Co., Hull 71
Launched July 1893
274’ LOA, 266’ LBP, 41’ beam, 25’6” depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1000 IHP
Enrolled at Buffalo NY Sept 2, 1893 (Temp #15)
265.6 x 40.6 x 25.0, 2237.36 GT, 1790.24 NT US 86267 to:
Lake Erie Transportation Co., Toledo OH, A. W. Colton, Mgr. (home port Monroe MI) (Fleet was subsidiary of Wabash Railway)
Entered service early Sept 1893
Permanent enrollment at Detroit MI Aug 20, 1897 (#8)
Out of commission during 1909 and 1910 seasons.
Sold 1911 to Union Steamboat Co., Buffalo NY, a subsidiary of Erie Railroad (Erie Land & Improvement Co., mortgage holder, owner) and renamed Granville A. Richardson.
Firm name changed 1913 to Erie Railroad Lake Line.
Fleet sold Feb 22, 1916 to Great Lakes Transit Corporation, Buffalo NY
The railroads were required under the provisions of the Panama Canal Act of 1912 to divest themselves of competing vessels. Great Lakes Transit Corporation was organized to own and operate these vessels.
Sold May 2, 1917 to Lake Transportation Co., Midland Ont., James Playfair, Mgr. Continued to sail under U. S. flag.
Transferred 1919 to Great Lakes Transportation Co., Midland ON, James Playfair, Mgr. and renamed Glencairn.
Enrolled Canadian at 266.0 x 41.0 x 22.4, 2152 GT, 1633 NT Can 138216 (home port to Midland ON)
Sold 1926 to Nassau Ship & Dredge Co., Chicago IL and renamed Nassau.
Converted to sand dredge at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Enrolled U. S. at 266.0 x 40.7 x 22.8, 2098 GT, 1265 NT
Firm name changed 1929 to Nassau Ship Co.
Sold 1930 to FitzSimons & Connell Dredge & Dock Co., Chicago IL
Lay idle at Chicago IL for several years after World War II
Scrapped 1951 at Chicago IL
See history in Scanner Jan 1978 (#71)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 341