Grace, E. G.

1943                                       E. G. Grace                                       1984

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 829
Keel laid Dec 5, 1942, launched June 17, 1943
Built for U. S. Maritime Commission, Class L6-S-A1 under its World War II vessel construction program.  Launched as Lincolnshire.  Renamed E. G. Grace and delivered at commissioning to Interlake Steamship Co., taking in trade (for this vessel and for strs. Frank Armstrong and Frank Purnell) seven older vessels of the fleet for part of the purchase price

620’ LOA, 605’ LBP, 60’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, 18 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, compound engine, 2500 IHP

Enrolled at
604.8 x 60.2 x 30.2, 8758 GT, 6472 NT     US 243830     to:
Interlake Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Wilmington DE)

Entered service Oct 2, 1943 clearing Lorain OH light for Superior WI

Laid up Dec 1986 at Ashtabula OH and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1984 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON.  Towed to Humberstone (Port Colborne) and scrapped

IMO 5095505

See history in Detroit Marine Historian July 1984 (#4)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 150

 

4313

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *