Grand Haven

1903                                  Grand Haven                                  1969

Steel twin screw crosslake railroad carferry

Built at Toledo Oh by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Hull 92
Launched June 20, 1903

320’ LOA, 306’ LBP, 54’ beam, 20’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, two triple expansion engines, 4000 IHP

Enrolled at Toledo OH July 1, 1903 (#1)
306.0 x 54.4 x 17.3, 2320 GT, 1678 NT     US 200007     to:
Craig Shipbuilding Co., Toledo OH (home port Toledo OH)

Reenrolled at Milwaukee WI Sept 23, 1903 (#23) to:
Grand Trunk Car Ferry Line, Milwaukee WI (home port to Milwaukee WI)

Entered service 1903

Sold at auction 1906 to Grand Trunk Milwaukee Car Ferry Co., a subsidiary of Grand Trunk Railway Co.

Sold 1946 for off-Lakes service and left the Great Lakes.

Sold 1964 to T. J. McCarthy Steamship Co., Detroit MI and returned to the Great Lakes.  Up Welland Canal Nov 21, 1964.

Laid up spring 1965.  Sank at her dock Sept 19, 1969.

Sold for scrap Nov 1969 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON.  Resold to United Steel & Refining Co. and scrapped at Hamilton ON in 1970.

 

0359

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *