Greater Detroit

1924                                  Greater Detroit                                  1956

Steel sidewheel passenger and package freight vessel

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 785
Launched Sept 15, 1923

535’ LOA, 519’ LBP, 58’ beam, 23’7” depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, inclined compound engine, 12000 IHP

Enrolled at Detroit MI
518.7 x 58.0 x 21.3, 7739 GT, 3330 NT     US 223664     to:
Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co., Detroit MI (home port Detroit MI)

Entered service 1924

Normal route was overnight passenger and package freight service between Detroit MI and Buffalo NY

Laid up at foot of Third Street, Detroit MI at end of 1950 season and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1956 to Robert L. Rosen and Abraham Siegel, Detroit MI.  Dismantled at Detroit, cabins burned Dec 12, 1956 in Lake St. Clair as a spectacle, hull towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped there by Steel Company of Canada.

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 204

 

2435

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *