1891 Griffin 1970
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Cleveland Ship Building Co., Hull 12
Launched April 23, 1891
284’ LOA, 266’ LBP, 38’ beam, 23’ depth
2 decks, hold beams, 7 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 900 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH April 30, 1891 (Temp #103)
266.0 x 38.2 x 19.6, 1856.44 GT, 1526.50 NT US 86140 to:
Lake Superior Iron Co., Marquette MI (home port Ishpeming MI)
Entered service 1891
Permanent enrollment at Marquette MI June 9, 1891 (#50)
Fleet sold 1900 to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
(This fleet was founded in 1900 by Andrew Carnegie to compete with John D. Rockefeller’s Bessemer Steamship Co. When the United States Steel Corporation was founded in early 1901, the 99 vessels in five other fleets joined the thirteen vessels then in this fleet to become the ore-carrying arm of the Corporation, at 112 vessels the largest fleet on the Great Lakes.)
Remeasured 1901 to 1879 GT (master’s cabin and crew space added above deck; no increase in net tons)
Sold 1914 to Atlas Steamship Co., Duluth MN, R. C. Helm, Mgr.
Sold April 5, 1918 to Charcoal Iron Corp. of America, Detroit MI to replace steamer Cicoa, which had left the Great Lakes in the fall of 1917 for off-Lakes service during World War I.
Converted to crane vessel at Superior WI by American Ship Building Co.
Sold July 1926 to Wolverine Steamship Co., Boyne City MI
Sold 1929 to Jones Navigation Co., North Tonawanda NY (a subsidiary of Jones Lumber Co.). Cranes removed at Buffalo NY by Buffalo Dry Dock Co. and vessel entered the lumber trade under the management of Boland & Cornelius, Buffalo NY
Sold 1936 to Central States Transit Co., Buffalo NY
Sold 1937 to Great Lakes Gravel Corporation, Buffalo NY. Resold to Erie Sand & Gravel Co., Erie PA and renamed Joseph S. Scobell.
Converted 1938 to self-unloading sand dredge at Erie PA by Erie Sand & Gravel Co.
Remeasured to 1445 GT, 1206 NT.
Transferred 1943 to Erie Sand Steamship Co., Erie PA, Erie Sand & Gravel Co., Mgr. (home port to Wilmington DE).
Repowered 1948 with diesel engine, 1008 HP
Retired at the end of 1967 season and laid up at Sandusky OH
Sold 1970 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON and scrapped at Port Colborne winter of 1970-71
See history in Scanner Nov 1973 (#34)