1888 Harlem 1917 (1931)
Iron Great Lakes package freighter
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 84
Launched July 3, 1888
304’ LOA, 286’ LBP, 41’ beam, 26’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI Aug 30, 1888 (#15)
288.0 x 41.0 x 22.1, 2299.19 GT, 1858.17 NT US 95972 to:
Detroit Dry Dock Co., Wyandotte MI (home port Detroit MI)
Reenrolled at Buffalo NY Sept 3, 1888 (#13) to Western Transit Co., Buffalo NY (a subsidiary of the New York Central Railway Co. ) (home port to Buffalo NY)
Entered service 1888
Wrecked Nov 27, 1898 5 miles south of Menagerie Island at the entrance to Siskiwit Bay on the south shore of Isle Royale, Lake Superior. No lives lost. Ran on reef in heavy snowstorm. Abandoned to underwriters as a constructive total loss. Enrollment surrendered Dec 29, 1898.
Salvaged by Thompson Towing & Wrecking Co., Port Huron MI. Towed to Toledo, where she was rebuilt to a bulk freighter by Craig Shipbuilding Co. Reenrolled at Port Huron MI April 28, 1900 (no change in dimensions or tonnage).
Sold 1901 to Harlem Transportation Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
Sold mid-1901 to Jenks Ship Building Co., Port Huron MI
Sold 1905 to Henry J. Pauly, Milwaukee WI
Sold 1911 to Chicago & Duluth Transportation Co., Chicago IL, C. W. Elphicke & Co., Mgr. Converted to passenger and package freight steamer at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. and renamed Minnesota.
Sold Oct 1913 to Lake Michigan Steamship Co., Chicago IL
Sold 1915 to Chicago, Racine & Milwaukee Line, a division of Michigan Transportation Co.
Sold Nov 24, 1917 to U. S. Shipping Board, Washington DC for off-Lakes service during World War I. Cut in two at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co. and towed to Lauzon QC, where she was rejoined by Davie Shipbuilding & Repairing Co.
Renamed Feliciana 1928
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 223