Harvester, The

1911                                  The Harvester                                  1977

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 391
Launched July 15, 1911

545’ LOA, 525’ LBP, 58’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1760 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH Aug 10, 1911 (Temp #6)
525.0 x 58.0 x 31.0, 7188 GT, 5690 NT     US 209060     to:
Wisconsin Steel Co., Chicago IL (home port Duluth MN)

Entered service Aug 21, 1911 clearing Lorain OH with a cargo of coal for Duluth MN

Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN Aug 26, 1911 (#6)

Transferred 1917 to International Harvester Co., Chicago IL, a subsidiary of Wisconsin Steel Co.

Sold 1964 to Gartland Steamship Co., Chicago IL, D. Sullivan & Co., Mgr. (home port to Wilmington DE)
(Owned 1965-1969 by National Boulevard Bank of Chicago)

Renamed Chicago Trader 1965

Fleet sold Feb 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY.  (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)

Sold 1971 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH

Sold for scrap 1977 to Acme Scrap Iron & Metal Co., Ashtabula OH.  Towed from Toledo OH to Ashtabula, where she was scrapped.

IMO 5357977

 

1105

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *