1907 Arthur H. Hawgood 1978
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 76
Launched Oct 5, 1907
569’ LOA, 549’ LBP, 56’ beam, 31’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH Oct 16, 1907 (#20)
549.0 x 56.0 x 26.5, 6486 GT, 4939 NT US 204631 to:
Neptune Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, A. H. Hawgood, Mgr. (home port Fairport OH)
Entered service 1907
Fleet merged 1911 into Commonwealth Steamship Co., W. A. and H. A. Hawgood, Mgrs.
Sold 1912 to Inland Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, a subsidiary of Inland Steel Co., Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. (home port to Indiana Harbor IN) and renamed Joseph Block.
Fleet management 1936 to Inland Steel Co.
Rebuilt 1945. Hatches to 24’ centers.
Remeasured to 6790 GT, 5459 NT
Boilers converted 1947 to oil firing
Remeasured to 556.2 x 56.4 x 26.5, 6816 GT, 5469 NT
Grounded May 22, 1968 at the entrance to Green Bay, Lake Michigan and abandoned to the underwriters as a constructive total loss. Sold to Lake Shipping Co., a subsidiary of American Ship Building Co. and towed to South Chicago for repairs.
Sold 1969 to Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Wilmington DE), renamed George M. Steinbrenner (2) and returned to service.
Sold for scrap 1978 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON and scrapped at Port Colborne.