Heffelfinger, Frank T.

1901                                  Frank T. Heffelfinger                                  1946

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 49
Launched Aug 24, 1901

450’ LOA, 430’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’6” depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1700 IHP

Enrolled at Duluth MN Oct 1, 1901 (#13)
430.0 x 50.2 x 24.5, 4897 GT, 3630 NT     US 121205     to:
Peavey Steamship Co., Duluth MN, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port Duluth MN)

First enrollment showed name as F. T. Heffelfinger and depth as 24.0.  Corrected by reenrollment Oct 10, 1901 (#14)

Fleet management transferred 1912 to G. A. Tomlinson, Duluth MN

Fleet sold Feb 18, 1916 to Reiss Steamship Co., Sheboygan WI

Renamed Clemens A. Reiss (1) 1917

Cargo hold rebuilt 1919 to arch construction at Sheboygan WI
Remeasured to 437.5 length and 4463 GT, 3513 NT

Home port to Fairport OH 1920

Side tanks rebuilt 1923
Remeasured to 4378 GT, 3367 NT

Home port to Duluth MN 1925

Home port to Wilmington DE 1928

Renamed Superior (4) 1959

Sold for scrap 1961 to Luria Brothers.  Resold to German shipbreakers.  Towed from Toledo OH to Detroit MI May 31, where she was loaded with scrap, then towed to Rotterdam, Neth., arriving July 21,where the scrap was unloaded.  The tow arrived at Hamburg, Germ. Aug 1, 1961.

 

0117

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *