(1942) 1948 Highway 16 2000 (20
Steel twin-screw crosslake automobile ferry
Built at Newport News VA by Newport News Ship Building & Dry Dock Co., Hull 423
Launched Nov 11, 1942
Built for the U. S. Navy during World War II as a landing ship (tank) LST 393. Original dimensions 328’ LOA, 50’ beam, 22’ depth. Participated in the invasions of Sicily and Salerno Italy and in the Normandy invasion June 6, 1944. Retired 1946.
Sold 1947 to Sand Products Corporation, Detroit MI. Converted to automobile ferry at Slidell LA by Southern Shipbuilding Corporation and brought to the Great Lakes via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers in 1948
328’ LOA, 309’ LBP, 50’ beam, 25’ depth
1 deck, 2 oil-fired diesel engines, 1800 BHP
Enrolled at Milwaukee WI
311.7 x 50.0 x 21.6, 2860 GT, 2346 NT US 255408 to:
Wisconsin & Michigan Steamship Co., Milwaukee WI, a subsidiary of Sand Products Corporation (home port Milwaukee WI)
Entered Great Lakes service 1948 carrying automobiles across Lake Michigan between Muskegon MI and Milwaukee WI
Operations discontinued July 1973 following General Motors Corporation decision to end water shipments of automobiles to Milwaukee as of the end of the 1973 model season. Laid up at Muskegon MI.
Renamed LST 393 2000 and rededicated as a museum at Muskegon.
At Muskegon MI 2011 as a museum vessel