1949 Hochelaga 1993
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Collingwood ON by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd., Hull 144
Launched Aug 4, 1949
First new bulk freighter to be built for Great Lakes service after World War II
639’6” LOA, 623’ LBP, 67’ beam, 35’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, Skinner Unaflow engine, 3600 IHP
Enrolled at Montreal QC
623.2 x 67.2 x 30.4, 11997 GT, 8268 NT Can 190479 to:
Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC (home port Montreal QC)
Entered service Oct 27, 1949
Converted to self-unloader and boilers converted to oil firing 1964 at Port Arthur ON by Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 12616 GT, 8718 NT
Lost her self-unloading boom on April 22, 1980 in a wind storm while unloading stone at Windsor ON. Sailed for the rest of her season as a straight deck grain carrier. New boom installed winter 1980-1981 at Thunder Bay ON by Port Arthur Shipyard.
Laid up Dec 21, 1981 at Cardinal ON and did not operate again. Towed 1982 to Kingston ON and 1987 to Toronto ON. In the later years of her layup her equipment was gradually removed for installation on other vessels.
Sold for scrap 1993 to Colombian shipbreakers. Towed Oct 1993 to Cartagena Colombia by Panamanian tug Pamar Salvor.