Holmes, Edwin F.

1904                                  Edwin F. Holmes                                   20

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 329
Launched Dec 12, 1903

440’ LOA, 420’ LBP, 50’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1500 IHP

Enrolled at Cleveland OH March 1, 1904 (#48)
420.0 x 50.0 x 28.0, 4787 GT, 3517 NT     US 200666     to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)

Reenrolled at Cleveland OH April 1, 1904 (#67) to:
Bransford Transit Co., Cleveland OH, W. A. Hawgood, Mgr. (home port to Fairport OH)

Entered service 1904

Fleet merged 1911 into Acme Transit Co.

Fleet sold Dec 31, 1915 to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN)

Renamed E. C. Collins 1916

Cargo hold rebuilt 1917 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 4132 GT, 3001 NT

Sold 1945 to Kinsman Transit Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Wilmington DE)

Sold 1956 to Huron Portland Cement Co., Detroit MI (home port to Detroit MI)

Laid up 1956-1958.

Converted 1958-1959 to self-unloading cement carrier at Sturgeon Bay WI by Christy Corporation and renamed J. B. Ford 1959
Remeasured to 4368 GT, 3199 NT

Fleet sold 1966 to National Gypsum Co. and became Huron Cement Division, National Gypsum Co., Detroit MI (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet sold March 1987 to private investors and chartered to Inland Lakes Management, Alpena MI

Laid up Nov 15, 1985 at Milwaukee WI.  Used as a cement storage barge at the local LaFarge cement  depot.  Towed April 1989 to South Chicago IL and May/June 2001 to Superior WI for similar service.

IMO 5166378

At Superior WI 2011 as a cement storage barge

 

0404

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *