1905 Hoover and Mason 1963
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 6
Keel laid Dec 5, 1904; launched May 6, 1905
524’ LOA, 504’ LBP, 54’ beam, 30’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI July 18, 1905 (#5)
504.0 x 54.2 x 33.0, 5841 GT, 4578 NT US 202033 to:
Great Lakes Engineering Works
Reenrolled at Duluth MN July 28, 1905 (#5) to:
Zenith Steamship Co., Duluth MN, G. A. Tomlinson, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Entered service July 24, 1905 clearing Ecorse MI light for Duluth MN
Transferred 1928 to United Steamship Co., Duluth MN and renamed E. M. Young.
Converted to scraper type self-unloader at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 6412 GT, 5362 NT
Renamed Colonel E. M. Young 1929 (home port to Wilmington DE)
Sold 1948 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port to Buffalo NY)
Sold 1953 to River Steamship Co., Detroit MI, Browning Lines Inc., Mgr. (home port to Detroit MI)
Converted back to bulk freighter at Ashtabula OH by Erie Boiler Works
Unloading boom installed on barge Marquis Roen
Renamed Sparkman D. Foster 1954.
Forward cabins, one-piece hatch covers and hatch crane from the just scrapped str. B. F. Jones installed 1956 at Superior WI by Fraser-Nelson Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co.
Transferred 1957 to Browning Lines Inc.
Sold for scrap 1963 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to Italian shipbreakers. Arrived under tow at Genoa Italy Oct 18, 1963.