1899 Douglass Houghton 1969
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 78
Launched June 3, 1899
475’ LOA, 456’ LBP, 50’ beam, 29’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2300 IHP
Originally built with two stacks situated fore and aft. One stack removed when the vessel was reboilered in 1910
Enrolled at Duluth MN July 26, 1899 (#5)
456.0 x 50.0 x 24.2, 5332 GT, 4034 NT US 157552 to:
Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)
Entered service 1899
Sunk Sept 5, 1899 in collision with her towed barge John Fritz in the Middle Neebish Channel, St. Marys River. Lost steering and grounded and the barge ran into her. The river was closed to shipping for a week after the accident. Vessel raised, repaired and returned to service.
Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steeln Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1928 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 456.0 x 50.2 x 23.9, 4515 GT, 3070 NT
Sold 1945 to Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co., Toronto ON (home port to Toronto ON)
Enrolled Canadian at 463.6 x 50.2 x 23.9, 5107 GT, 2638 NT Can 174976
Fleet renamed Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. 1959
Laid up at end of 1967 season
Sold 1969 to Toronto Harbour Commission for use as a breakwater and sunk at Ontario Place on Toronto ON waterfront with strs. Howard L. Shaw and Victorious.
See history in Scanner Feb 1973 (#28)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 147