1905 Juniata 1970 (20
Steel Great Lakes passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Cleveland OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 423
Launched Dec 17, 1904
340’ LBP, 45’ beam, 28’ depth
3 decks, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 2500 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH March 21, 1905 (#33)
346.0 x 45.0 x 28.0, 4333 GT, 2619 NT US 201768 to:
American Ship Building Co., Cleveland OH (home port Cleveland OH)
Reenrolled at Erie PA May 13, 1905 (#18) to:
Erie & Western Transportation Co., Erie PA (home port to Erie PA)
Great Lakes fleet of Pennsylvania Railroad, also known as “Anchor Line”
Entered service 1905
Fleet sold Feb 22, 1916 to Great Lakes Transit Corporation, Buffalo NY (home port to Buffalo NY)
The railroads were required under the provisions of the Panama Canal Act of 1912 to divest themselves of competing vessels. Great Lakes Transit Corporation was organized to own and operate these vessels.
The burning of the str. Morro Castle, with heavy loss of life, off Asbury Park NJ on Sept 8, 1934 resulted in many new safety regulations. Vessel was not considered worth the cost of the necessary modifications and was retired after the 1936 season and laid up at Buffalo NY.
Sold 1940 to Wisconsin & Michigan Steamship Co., Milwaukee WI and renamed Milwaukee Clipper.
Rebuilt winter 1940-1941 to passenger and automobile vessel at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 25.3 depth and 4272 GT, 3137 NT
Operated in passenger service across Lake Michigan between Milwaukee WI and Muskegon MI.
Retired from active service Sept 1970 and laid up at Muskegon MI
Sold 1977 to Illinois Steamship Co., Chicago IL, James Gillon, owner. Towed to Sturgeon Bay WI, where she was to be converted to an excursion vessel by Bay Shipbuilding Co. and operated by Great Lakes Transit Co. The conversion was never done since the vessel was found not to comply with U. S. Coast Guard standards.
Unofficially renamed Clipper 1979. This name was recognized only for a short period, the vessel generally continuing to be referred to as Milwaukee Clipper.
Towed Nov 1980 to Chicago IL for use as a restaurant and museum at Navy Pier.
Named a National Historic Site Oct 1988 and towed shortly thereafter to a berth on the Chicago River.
Sold at auction May 2, 1990 to the Port Authority of Hammond IN for use as an attraction at a new marina being built. Towed to South Chicago IL and then to Hammond. High maintenance costs caused this use to be discontinued.
Sold 1997 for $1.00 to Great Lakes Clipper Preservation Association, Muskegon MI and towed to Muskegon for planned use as a marine museum.
See history in Detroit Marine Historian July-Aug 1949 (#8)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 234