1908 Keewatin 1966 (20
Steel passenger and package freight vessel
Built at Glasgow Scotland by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Hull 453
Launched July 6, 1907
346’ LOA, 336’ LBP, 43’6” beam, 26’6” depth
3 decks, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 3300 IHP
Enrolled at Montreal QC
336.5 x 43.8 x 23.6, 3856 GT, 2470 NT Can 125985 to:
Canadian Pacific Railway Co., Owen Sound ON (home port Montreal QC)
Ran aground on Anticosti Island, St. Lawrence River on her inbound trip. Cut in two at Quebec QC and towed to Buffalo NY, where she was rejoined by Buffalo Dry Dock Co. and where 26 plates and her entire center keelson were replaced as a result of her grounding. Wintered 1907-1908 at Owen Sound ON.
Entered service 1908
Entire career was spent sailing between Georgian Bay ports (Owen Sound, ON, later Port McNicoll ON) and the Canadian lakehead.
Boilers converted to oil firing 1955 at Midland ON by Midland Shipbuilding Co.
Fleet discontinued passenger service at end of 1965 season.
Sold for scrap 1966 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold 1967 to Roland J. Peterson, Saugatuck MI for use as a museum vessel at Douglas MI.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 39
At Douglas MI 2011 as a museum vessel