1874 Charles J. Kershaw 1895
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Bangor MI by Thomas Boston
Launched April 17, 1874
1 deck, coal-fired boiler, low pressure engine,
Enrolled at Port Huron MI May 14, 1874
223.0 x 37.0 x 20.0, 1323.95 tons (1108.87 NT 1882) US 125251 to:
Alexander B. Moore et al., (A. B. Moore, H. A. Ballentine, J. W. Ballentine and Edward F. Lawrence 1/6 each and David Ballentine 2/6)
Sold 1875 to R. P. Fitzgerald, Milwaukee WI (home port to Milwaukee WI)
Sold 1888 to John C. Fitzpatrick 4/16 et al., Cleveland OH
Sold 1890 to Lakewood Transportation Co., Cleveland OH, William S. Mack, Mgr.
Delivered first cargo of iron ore to Conneaut OH Nov 6, 1892
Burst steam pipe Sept 29, 1895 in gale and driven on shore on Chocolay Reef near Marquette MI. Enroute light for Marquette towing schooners Moonlight and Henry A. Kent. All three vessels driven ashore; the schooners were released in spring 1896. Enrollment surrendered April 13, 1896.