Lachinedoc 1

1927                                  Lachinedoc     1                                  1961

Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter

Built at Sunderland England by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Hull 1311
Launched April 8, 1927

261’ LOA, 253’ LBP, 43’ beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 830 IHP

Enrolled at
252.8 x 43.4 x 17.8, 1926 GT, 1149 NT     Can 149430     to:
Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William ON (home port Fort William ON)

Entered service 1927

Requisitioned 1941 for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes.  Resold 1943 to the U. S. Maritime Commission.  Laid up at the end of the war in the James River reserve fleet.

Sold 1947 to Colonial Steamships Ltd., Port Colborne ON (home port to Toronto ON), renamed Queenston and returned to the Great Lakes
Remeasured to 17.9 depth and 1976 GT, 1137 NT

Laid up at the end of the 1958 season and did not operate again

Fleet renamed Scott Misener Steamships Ltd. 1959

Sold 1961 to Bob-Lo Ferry Co., Amherstburg ON.  Stripped and hull sunk to become vessel dock at Bois Blanc Island, lower Detroit River

See history in Scanner Nov 1977 (#69)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *