Lamont, Thomas W.

1930                                  Thomas W. Lamont                                  1987

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Toledo OH by Toledo Shipbuilding Co., Hull 184
Launched March 22, 1930

604’ LOA, 580’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2500 IHP

Enrolled at Toledo OH May 19, 1930 (Temp #5)
587.9 x 60.2 x 27.9, 7964 GT, 6345 NT     US 229753     to:
Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port Duluth MN)

Entered service May 28, 1930 clearing Toledo OH light for Duluth MN

Permanent enrollment at Duluth MN May 31, 1930

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilmington DE)

Fleet merged July 1951 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Remeasured 1952 to  7990 GT, 6314 NT

Repowered 1965 with diesel engine at Superior WI by Fraser Shipyards
Remeasured to 8009 GT, 6260 NT

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Laid up Sept 3, 1981 at Duluth MN and did not operate again

Sold for scrap 1987 to Aaron A. Frerer & Sons, Omaha NB.  Resold to Turkish shipbreakers.  Cleared Quebec QC Sept 15, 1987 with str. Enders M. Voorhees towed by British tug Irving Cedar.  Tow arrived Algeciras Spain Oct 24, 1987.  Tow cleared Algeciras Dec 15, 1987 towed by Greek tug Everest.  Tow arrived Aliaga Turkey Dec 27, 1987. (Tug returned to Algeciras for Voorhees, which was lost on the tow to Aliaga.)

IMO 5359638

See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember III p. 218

 

3001

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *