Lawrendoc 1

 

1929                                  Lawrendoc     1                                  1965

Steel St. Lawrence River canal size bulk freighter

Built at Wallsend-on-Tyne England by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Hull 1385
Launched March 16, 1929

259’ LOA, 252’ LBP, 43’2” beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 750 IHP

Enrolled at
252.8 x 43.4 x 17.8, 1924 GT, 1144 NT     Br 161513     to:
Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William ON. (home port Newcastle-on-Tyne England)

Entered service 1929

Enrollment transferred to Canada 1930     Can 161513     (home port to Fort William ON.)

Requisitioned 1940 for off-Lakes service during World War II and left the Great Lakes

Returned 1952 to previous owners and returned to the Great Lakes

Deepened 1948 at Port Arthur ON. by Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 21.9 depth and 2147 GT, 1478 NT

Remeasured 1951 to 2188 GT, 1494 NT

Laid up at end of 1957 season and did not operate again for this firm

Sold for scrap 1962 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON.  Resold 1963 to Tank Truck Transport Ltd., Point Edward ON. (home port to Sarnia ON.)

Converted to tank barge and renamed Chembarge A.

Scrapped 1965 at Port Colborne ON.

 

2912

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *