Lemoyne 1

1926                                  Lemoyne     1                                  1968

 

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

 

Built at Midland ON by Midland Shipbuilding Co., Hull 16
Longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until Carl D. Bradley of 1927 – superseded W. Grant

Morden of 1914)
Built for Great Lakes Transportation Co., Midland ON, James Playfair, Mgr.  Fleet sold while she was on the ways (March 10, 1926) to Canada Steamship Lines
Launched June 23, 1926 as Glenmhor.  Name changed to Glenmohr before lake trials.
Completed lake trials late June as Glenmohr, renamed Lemoine and later Lemoyne before entering service.  (Enrolled after launch as Glenmohr and renamed shortly before entering service.)

633’ LOA, 620’ LBP, 70’ beam, 29’ depth

1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 18’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 3000 IHP

Enrolled at Midland ON
621.1 x 70.2 x 25.4, 10480 GT, 7503 NT     Can 152647     to:
Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC (home port Midland ON)

Entered service August 17 clearing Midland ON light for Sandusky OH

Boilers converted to oil firing 1961 at Collingwood ON

Laid up mid-season 1968 at Kingston ON

Sold for scrap 1968 to Steel Company of Canada.  Resold to Spanish shipbreakers.  Sailed under own power May 1969 to Quebec QC.  Cleared Quebec June 9, 1969 with str. Goudreau towed by Polish tug Koral.  Tow arrived at Santander Spain June 27, 1969.

 

See history in Scanner Jan 2000 (#253)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember II p. 186

 

 

2603

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *