1898 William R. Linn 1964
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Chicago IL by Chicago Ship Building Co., Hull 32
Launched March 5, 1898
420’ LOA, 400’ LBP, 48’ beam, 28’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1800 IHP
Enrolled at Chicago IL April 19, 1898 (#38)
400.0 x 48.3 x 23.9, 4328.71 GT, 3196.99 NT US 81597 to:
C. W. Elphicke, Chicago IL
Entered service 1898
Sold 1900 to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN (home port to Duluth MN)
(This fleet was founded in 1900 by Andrew Carnegie to compete with John D. Rockefeller’s Bessemer Steamship Co. When the United States Steel Corporation was founded in early 1901, the 99 vessels in five other fleets joined the thirteen vessels then in this fleet to become the ore-carrying arm of the Corporation, at 112 vessels the largest fleet on the Great Lakes.)
Rebuilt 1919 at Fairport OH
Remeasured to 4184 GT, 3137 NT
Cargo hold rebuilt 1925 to arch construction at Conneaut OH by Pittsburgh Steamship Co.
Remeasured to 3878 GT, 2637 NT
Sold 1940 to Pure Oil Steamship Co., Chicago IL (home port to Baltimore MD) and renamed L. S. Wescoat
Converted to tanker at River Rouge MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works
Remeasured to 4068 GT, 2766 NT
Chartered 1959 to Browning Lines Inc., Detroit MI
Laid up fall 1962 at Ecorse MI and did not operate again.
Sold 1964 to Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne ON. Resold to German shipbreakers. Arrived under tow at Hamburg, Germany with str. Mataafa July 19, 1965.