1898 Alexander McDougall 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at West Superior WI by American Steel Barge Co., Hull 141
Launched June 25, 1898
433’ LOA, 414’ LBP, 50’ beam, 27’ depth
Modified whaleback construction (standard bow and whaleback hull)
1 deck, hold beams, hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, quadruple expansion engine, 1700 IHP
Enrolled at Marquette MI June 30, 1898 (Temp #39)
413.0 x 50.0 x 22.0, 3686.39 GT, 2662.96 NT US 107372 to:
American Steel Barge Co., Buffalo NY (home port Buffalo NY)
Entered service 1898
Permanent enrollment at Buffalo NY Oct 6, 1898 (#29)
Fleet sold 1900 to Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN)
Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Cargo hold rebuilt 1923 to arch construction at Conneaut OH
Remeasured to 413.1 length and 3672 GT, 2824 NT
Sold 1936 to Buckeye Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr. (home port to Wilmington DE)
Traded in 1943 with strs. Mariposa and Maritana to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of str. John T. Hutchinson. Operated during World War II by Buckeye Steamship Co.
Laid up 1946 at Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Towed to Hamilton ON and scrapped there.
See history in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 252