1847                                             Magnet                                          1929

Iron sidewheel passenger and package freight vessel

Built at Niagara ON by James Currie
Iron plates for hull fabricated in Scotland and shipped to Niagara for assembly
Launched July 3, 1847, entered service Oct 1947

182’6” LOA, 175’ LBP, 25’ beam, 11’ depth
2 decks, coal-fired boiler, vertical beam engine

Enrolled Canadian 175.2 x 25.2 x 10.8, 1029 GT, 586 NT       to:
J. W. Gunn & Capt. James Southerland, Niagara ON (home port Montreal QC)
(Operated by Royal Mail Line, Kingston ON)

Upper cabins added 1853

Sold to Canadian Navigation Co., Kingston ON

Fleet merged 1875 into Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., Montreal QC

Chartered 1883-1892 to Owen Sound Navigation Co., Owen Sound ON for service between Georgian Bay ports and Lake Superior

Rebuilt 1895 at Sorel QC and renamed Hamilton  (1).  Assigned official number Can 103337
(Owned by Montreal Safe Deposit Co., Montreal QC between 1895 and 1900)
Remeasured to 1052 GT, 608 NT

Remeasured 1898 to 938 GT, 447 NT

Sold Dec 31, 1909 to Empire Refining Co., Wallaceburg ON and converted 1910 to tank barge at Sorel QC
Remeasured to 173.0 x 26.0 x 11.4, 443 NT

Sold 1918 to Grant Cooper, Toronto ON

Sold 1928 to Louis Goodchild, Amherstburg ON.  Towed to Amherstburg but used infrequently

Registry closed Feb 22, 1928.  Abandoned about 1929 in former Canada Southern Railway slip at Amherstburg ON.

See history in Detroit Marine Historian Jan 1959 (#101)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 260




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *