1890 Matoa 1937
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 34
Launched June 17, 1890
304’ LOA, 290’ LBP, 40’ beam, 25’ depth
2 decks, hold beams, 9 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH July 25, 1890 (#8)
290.6 x 40.3 x 21.1, 2311.01 GT, 1836.35 NT US 92204 to:
Minnesota Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Ashtabula OH)
Fleet owned by Minnesota Iron Mining Co. (parent company controlled by J. P. Morgan’s Federal Steel Co. 1900-1901)
Entered service 1890
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Stranded Nov 10, 1913 near Point aux Barques, Lake Huron in the “Big Storm.” Upbound from Toledo OH with coal for Hancock MI. No lives lost. Abandoned to underwriters as a constructive total loss. Sold to Reid Wrecking Co., Sarnia ON, which salvaged it and towed it to Port Huron MI for repairs.
Sold 1915 to G. E. Warren & Co., Boston MA (Warren Transportation Co.) for off-Lakes service during World War I. Cut in two at Port Huron by Reid & Sons Drydock Co., towed to Montreal QC and rejoined by Canadian Vickers Ltd.
Sold 1923 to Great Lakes Transportation Co., Midland ON, James Playfair, Mgr. Recut and lengthened 36’ at Montreal QC by Canadian Vickers Ltd., and returned to the Great Lakes. Rebuilt at Collingwood Ont. by Collingwood Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. and renamed Glenrig.
Enrolled Canadian 326.0 x 40.0 x 21.2, 2723 GT, 1538 NT Can 151587 (home port to Midland ON)
Fleet sold March 10, 1926 to Canada Steamship Lines, Montreal QC and vessel renamed Huguenot
Laid up at end of 1928 season at Midland ON and did not operate again
Scrapped 1937 at Sturgeon Bay WI
See history in Scanner Feb 1979 (#81)
Also in Detroit Marine Historian May-June 1956 (#75)
Also in Great Lakes Ships We Remember p. 281