1889 Marion 1926
Wooden Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Sheboygan WI by Rieboldt, Walter & Co.
Launched May 1889
212’ LOA, 202’ LBP, 35’ beam, 20’ depth
1 deck, hold beams, coal-fired boilers, fore and aft compound engine, 600 IHP
Enrolled at Milwaukee WI June 24, 1889 (#143)
202.2 x 34.7 x 13.1, 930.21 GT, 674.44 NT US 92102 to:
John Cochrane, Milwaukee WI
Entered service 1889
Sank str. Philip D. Armour Sept 7, 1889 in the St. Clair River. Armour, which had just entered service in the spring, was raised, repaired and returned to service.
Sold 1890 to James E. Danaher, Ludington MI
Remeasured to 217.0 x 34.7 x 19.9, 1206.47 GT, 978.45 NT
Sold 1899 to Samuel Neff & Sons, Milwaukee WI
Sold 1903 to Michigan, Indiana & Illinois Line, Chicago IL, R. K. Warren, Mgr.
Sold 1912 to Morton Salt Co., Chicago IL
Sold 1922 to Horn-Lunow Transportation Co., Chicago IL, a subsidiary of Charles Horn Lumber Co., and renamed Charles Horn.
Burned May 15, 1926 26 miles off Point Petre Light, near Picton ON, Lake Ontario. Caught fire while underway with cargo of grain. Crew rescued by str. Robert J. Buck.