1892 Mariposa 1946
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Cleveland OH by Globe Iron Works, Hull 48
Launched June 16, 1892
With W. H. Gilbert and Maritana longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until S. S. Curry, Merida and Centurion of 1893 – superseded E. C. Pope of 1891)
348’ LOA, 330’ LBP, 45’ beam, 24’6” depth
2 decks, hold beams, 8 hatches @ 24’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1400 IHP
Enrolled at Cleveland OH June 30, 1892 (#121)
330.1 x 45.2 x 20.3, 2831.32 GT, 2306.78 NT US 92448 to:
Minnesota Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Pickands Mather & Co., Mgr. (home port Ashtabula OH)
Fleet owned by Minnesota Iron Mining Co. (parent company controlled by J. P. Morgan’s Federal Steel Co. 1900-1901)
Entered service 1892
Fleet merged spring 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr. (home port to Duluth MN)
Rebuilt 1918 to 1 deck and arch construction at Cleveland OH
Remeasured to 2898 GT, 1763 NT
Sold 1929 to Buckeye Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Hutchinson & Co., Mgr.
Traded in 1943 with strs. Maritana and Alexander McDougall to U. S. War Shipping Administration, Washington DC on the purchase price of str. John T. Hutchinson. Operated during World War II by Buckeye Steamship Co.
Laid up 1945 Erie PA
Sold for scrap 1946 to Steel Company of Canada. Wintered in the Welland Canal and towed to Hamilton Ont. in 1947 and scrapped.