1929 Material Service 1936
Steel twin-screw dredge
Built at Sturgeon Bay WI by Leatham D. Smith Dock Co., Hull 253
Built to carry sand from Lake Michigan to docks on the Chicago River. Deck structures designed to permit passage under low clearance bridges.
246’ LOA, 240’ LBP, 40’ beam, 15’ depth
1 deck, 2 oil-fired diesel engines, 700 SHP
239.7 x 40.1 x 13.9, 1077 GT, 736 NT US 228371 to:
Leatham Smith-Putnam Navigation Co., Chicago IL
Entered service 1929
Foundered July 29, 1936 off South Chicago IL, Lake Michigan. 15 of 22 aboard lost. Loaded with 2000 tons of sand from Lockport IL to South Chicago, she had just entered the lake when at 1:00 a.m. a heavy wave passed over the vessel, which sank so quickly that 15 of her crew, including Captain and Chief Engineer, were trapped in their berths and drowned.