1892 Samuel Mather 1 1924
Steel whaleback bulk freighter
Built at West Superior WI by American Steel Barge Co., Hull 120
First frames laid Nov 14, 1891, launched May 21, 1892
328’ LOA, 308’ LBP, 38’ beam, 24’ depth
1 deck, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1200 IHP
Enrolled at Buffalo NY May 23, 1892 (#78)
308.0 x 38.0 x 24.0, 1713.00 GT, 1318.39 NT US 116484 to:
American Steel Barge Co., Buffalo NY (home port Buffalo NY)
Entered service June 27, 1892 carrying iron ore from Two Harbors MN
Fleet sold 1900 to Bessemer Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN)
Fleet merged March 1901 into Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Duluth MN, a subsidiary of United States Steel Corporation, A. B. Wolvin, Mgr.
Sold Oct 10, 1922 to Clifton Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Fairport OH) and renamed Clifton.
Converted to combination bulk freighter/automobile carrier 1923 at Toledo OH by Toledo Shipbuilding Co.
Sold Dec 7, 1923 to Progress Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr.
Converted to self-unloader 1924 at Sturgeon Bay WI by Leatham D. Smith Dock Co.
Foundered Sept 22, 1924 off Forty Mile Point MI, Lake Huron. All 27 lost. Enroute from Sturgeon Bay WI to Detroit MI with stone.