1905 William G. Mather 1 1996
Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter
Built at Ecorse MI by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Hull 9
Keel laid May 18, 1905; launched Sept 23, 1905
533’ LOA, 513’ LBP, 60’ beam, 31’ depth
First Great Lakes freighter with a 60-foot beam.
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 2000 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI Dec 7, 1905 (#29)
513.0 x 60.2 x 32.0, 6838 GT, 5183 NT US 202542 to:
John R. Russell
Entered service 1905
Reenrolled at Marquette MI Jan 25, 1906 (#25) to:
Grand Island Steamship Co., Cleveland OH, Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Co., Mgr. (home port to Ishpeming MI)
Transferred 1919 to Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co. (home port to Fairport OH)
Renamed J. H. Sheadle (2) 1925
Home port to Wilmington DE 1932
Renamed H. L. Gobeille 1955
Did not operate 1962 and 1963 seasons
Sold 1964 to Gartland Steamship Co., Chicago IL, D. Sullivan & Co., Mgr.
Converted to self-unloader at Manitowoc WI by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
Remeasured to 7513 GT, 5229 NT
Renamed Nicolet 1965
Fleet sold Feb 1969 to American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY. (Fleet managed by Boland & Cornelius but continued as a subsidiary under its former name.)
Repowered 1974 with diesel engine at Bay City MI by Defoe Shipbuilding Co.
Forward cabins extensively damaged Dec 29, 1979 in fire in her unloading gear caused by sparks from an acetylene torch while vessel was undergoing repairs at Toledo OH by Hans Hansen Welding Co. New pilot house and other cabins installed at Toledo by American Ship Building Co. Vessel returned to service spring 1981.
Transferred 1986 to parent American Steamship Co.
Laid up end of 1990 season at Toledo OH and did not operate again.
Sold for scrap 1996 to International Marine Salvage. Towed to Port Maitland ON and scrapped.