1884 Michigan Central 1926
Iron sidewheel cross-river railroad carferry
Built at Wyandotte MI by Detroit Dry Dock Co., Hull 65
275’ LOA, 263’ LBP, 45’6” beam, 15’6” depth
1 deck, coal-fired boilers, horizontal condensing engine, 2500 IHP
Enrolled at Detroit MI March 6, 1884 (#29)
263.3 x 45.6 x 15.3, 1522.00 GT, 999.72 NT US 91652 to:
Michigan Central Rail Road Co., Detroit MI (home port Detroit MI)
Laid up Oct 16, 1910 upon transfer of freight transfer operations to new Detroit-Windsor railroad tunnel
Sold 1913 to Kelley Island Lime & Transport Co., Sandusky OH. Intended to be used as a railroad carferry between Marblehead and Sandusky OH across Sandusky Bay but never used.
Remained laid up at River Rouge MI.
Sold 1923 to T. L. Durocher Co., and converted to barge
Remeasured to 1478 GT, 1364 NT
Foundered Oct 26, 1926 off Cockburn Island, northern Lake Huron. Sprang leak enroute to Detour MI with cargo of stone, towed by tug General.