Mills, William M.

1907                                  William M. Mills                                  1976

Steel Great Lakes bulk freighter

Built at Lorain OH by American Ship Building Co., Hull 348
Launched July 17, 1907
With LeGrand S. DeGraff and William B. Kerr longest vessel on the Great Lakes (until Shenango of 1909 – superseded Edward Y. Townsend and Daniel J. Morrell of 1906)

605’9” LOA, 585’ LBP, 60’ beam, 32’ depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 12’, coal-fired boilers, triple expansion engine, 1880 IHP

Enrolled at Niagara Falls NY Aug 14, 1907 (#4)
585.0 x 60.0 x 32.0, 7962 GT, 6189 NT     US 204417     to:
Weston Transit Co., North Tonawanda NY, W. M. Mills, Mgr. (home port North Tonawanda NY)

Entered service 1907

Transferred 1910 to Frontier Steamship Co.

Sold 1911 to Pittsburgh Steamship Co., Cleveland OH (home port to Duluth MN) and renamed William J. Filbert.

Rebuilt 1936 at Conneaut OH.  Hatches to 24’ centers with hatch crane.
Remeasured to 585.0 x 60.2 x 27.4, 7699 GT, 6376 NT

Fleet reincorporated 1949 in Delaware (home port to Wilomington DE)

Fleet merged 1952 into parent United States Steel Corporation (home port to New York NY)

Fleet renamed United States Steel Great Lakes Fleet 1967 (home port to Wilmington DE)

Laid up at Duluth MN at end of 1970 season and did not operate again.

Sold for scrap 1976 to Hyman Michaels Co., Duluth MN.  Scrapped at Duluth.

IMO 5390802

 

0721

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *